Monday, May 12, 2008

Home Tweet Home

Every birdie needs a home, even if it's in a pepper!


I don't really consider this crafting. Buying components and then slapping them together doesn't feel like I put enough effort into it to consider it crafting. To me, this falls into the category of flower arranging. Regardless, this was a fun project to work on.

If you are looking for a quick gift, you can put this together really fast. I started out with a vinyl coated foam green bell pepper. You can usually find these near the artificial flowers in most craft stores. I carved a hole into the pepper and painted the inside (white foam) with dark brown paint. I glued some spanish moss into the hole and a dowel just below it for the mushroom bird to perch on. The base is made from the saucer of a terra cotta pot which was sponge painted with mossy greens and golds. Silk daisies, ivy and spanish moss were added for interest. A raffia bow completes the look. Easy, peasy and a snap to whip up.


I'm sure you're all very much aware of the "new" retro fad. For a long time, I resisted anything considered retro. To me, it was just "old" and nothing else. I guess when you yourself can physically be considered retro, the natural thing is to resist the old in favor of something new. It was a part of my past and I wanted it to stay that way. Follow me so far??? Something happened along the way to make me change my mind. I guess it was the constant barrage of advertising of retro items in fashion and home dec that helped me to do an about face. I now love a burnt orange, lime green, and chocolate brown combination. They are clearly colors that were popular while I was growing up. I can't seem get enough of the new retro and I'm starting to look for it wherever I go.



This brings me to this cool retro wrapping paper that I fell in love with the moment I saw it. The cream, moss green, and aqua blue combination is clearly circa 1950. This is the wrapping on my Mother's Day gift to my mom. I created a simple hang tag which adds to the retro feel.

I really love the new retro even if it's actually the second or third time around for me. The old new has now become the new new, or something like that. Anyway, I adore it no matter how you call it.

If you've read this far, thank you. You are the bees knees, the cat's pajamas, cool cats! Okay, now I'm just getting carried away...

Have a nice day!

Aloha!

4 comments:

sweetiepie said...

Lettie - I think your little birdhouse pepper is a craft. You cut, painted and glued so it must be a craft!

I got a chuckle out of your new, old retro....or old, new... whatever...lol. I remember those colors! It takes me back to my childhood. We had an aqua refrigerator and I thought it was beautiful!

Thanks for the laugh. Joyce in Iowa

Cheryl said...

Sweet little birdhouse, and I am with you....love the old, new, new, old or whatever retro!! Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joyce,
Wow, your aqua refrigerator sounds so cool, even in this day and age. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Sometimes it's so interesting to recall the past because it's so present, know what I mean??? LOL Everything that is old is new again. Those who can really understand the present are those who have lived in the past. I bet that sounds confusing to a young 'un but not to someone my age.
Aloha,
Lettie

Arlette said...

Cheryl,
Thanks for stopping by. I'm with you, I can't get enough of the "new" retro or whatever they're calling it these days. I hope you have a wonderful week too!
Aloha,
Lettie